December 15, 2008

Avalanche @ Wings: blame Def Leppard

Red Wings 2-3 Avalanche
**********

I'm a jackass. Before I went to work I casually set the VCR to record at 7:30 on FSN. When I got home I had 4 hours worth of UFC. The game, as you people konw, was on the Versus network. So no Runningblog, just some pictures.

*****
Somehow the Wings have managed to lose to the public embarrassment that is the Dallas Stars and now the 15-14-1 Colorado Avalanche in the last three nights. Something is awry. But it's December and there's time to get through it.

Concerning just this game, though, there is only one place to point your finger. Look no further than Def Leppard. The Wings lost on opening night to the Leafs, on Versus, and then Def Leppard pissed on the proverbial ashes.




Asshole.

*****

The Wings are now 0-2-1 when playing on Versus. All home games. If this continues, we'll not only have to deal with the Sharks and the Ducks, we'll have to go up against the announce team of Doc and Edzo as well. The Def Leppard Curse is real and I'm sure of it, and I don't care if that makes me a crazy person. I will watch every game announced by those two for the rest of this season, whether it's Versus or NBC, distracted with the thought that The Curse has already determined the outcome.

*****

A turnover so bad that it sould only be categorized as a Complete Fuckup at center ice leads to the first goal of the game. 1-0 'Lanche. Sickening stuff.

Not to be outdone, the Wings penalty kill collapses to the near side on a Colorado rush and leaves an acre of real estate open. Before you could get "Oh, fuck me" out of your mouth it was 2-0.


Homer picks up the garbage. 2-1 Colorado.

But then Brett Lebda got intimate with the puck in the crease, which isn't allowed in hockey. Sounds simple enough to the average fan, but Lebda, a professional my sources tell me, forgot. Or something. On the ensuing penalty shot, Jordan Leopold skated at glacier speed and still beat Ozzie for the goal. 3-1 Avalanche. I love the Wings. I really do. But I swear to Christ I hate when these games happen.

Hoss trimmed the lead to 3-2 but that was all the Wings could muster. Ballgame.

*****

So back to my original ridiculous claim. Chalk this one up to the douches that want sugar poured upon them. They did this. Babs will want answers as to why such a shitfest took place. He'll look in net, he'll look at the ugly defense, and he'll look at that dude that stands next to him with the gigantic mustache. But he should look no further than Def Leppard.

"we know he did ... we talked to people at the show and the guy was being real rude to everybody," Chelios said. "He was in a bad mood when they got there, so for whatever reason he didn't want to be there. And that's his way of showing it and taking it out on the NHL."


4 comments:

Rob said...

Lebda's hand in the crease actually saved a goal (momentarily). I guess you could say it's the right play in that situation to take your chances with the penalty shot, especially against a guy that's never taken one in his career. Still, how do we not beat the Avs by 5?

Tyler said...

If we play the Avs 100 times we should win 102. As I mentioned I didn't get to see the game but, considering they gave up 2 goals in the first 5 minutes I'm guessing they (again) didn't come flying out of the gates. This has become the norm lately, especially for home games.

jane said...

Blaming a rock band for the Wings less than stellar record of 0-2-1 (the score speaks for itself, no?)is ignorant. The failings clearly lay within the Wings own camp, they should get back to the business of hockey and stop all this whinging about rock bands, AND GET OVER IT!

Anonymous said...

not quite as ignorant as somebody missing the boat on the sarcasm of this post.

i.e: Def Leppard curse = a joke.

- Jared