- 20:00 ... No Nick Lidstrom, who can't even put on a skate. That obviously sucks for the penalty kill. The other night in Denver, the PK made the simple task of clearing the puck as difficult as disarming a nuclear bomb.
- 20:00 ... Larry Murphy: "The Hawks ... look ... invincible right now." OK Murph.
- 16:43 ... Obvious tripping call coming for Brad St -- Oh wait, that's incorrect -- The refs saw Tomas Holmstrom breathing wrong on the goalie and decided that was worse, or something, I don't fucking know, and called that instead. Lethargic start so far.
- 14:02 ... I love when Conk handles a harmless shot by freezing for what feels like 45 seconds as the puck goes tumbling above his head, while he has no clue where the puck is or what sport he is playing. And by "love" I mean it drives me absolutely bat-shit loony.
- 13:30 ... Wings on the penalty kill again, as FSN segues into a pregame Babcock interview about the PK. Babs' interviews provide limitless entertainment. He talks to the off-camera interviewer as if he's talking to a locker room full of players. In fact, I think he's so in the zone all the time that he probably yells out line changes while he's having sex with his wife.
- 11:42 ... A stat that would make any Wings fan furrow their brow with confusion: the Hawks are outshooting us 11 to 1.
- 9:49 ... The Wings get their first power play. Unrelated: last year I was all about the Derek Meech. This year I'm not as thrilled about him. He seems way to anxious to make a name for himself and at least twice a game he throws a lifeless, 4 mph wrister on goal from 50 feet instead of trying to set up possession in the zone.
- 8:10 ... Conklin just iced the puck, while the Wings were on the power play. I don't think I've ever seen that. I'm pretty sure I've never even fathomed the possibility of that happening during a hockey game.
- 4:09 ... Datsyuk scores on the power play and credit Homer with doing his usual shit at the top of the crease. Pav was really buzzing around on that shift. 1-0 Wings.
- 17:02 ... Brad Stuart with yet another terrific hit along the boards. This has been a good game; some chippiness and physicality, and we're winning. I might add that Mickey Redmond is on the verge of creaming his pants right now.
- 16:00 ... Whooooaa, what a shot from Franzen, on the power play again. 2-0 Wings. I love this sport. Franzen has nothing to shoot at except for a mouse hole-sized area above Khabibulin's shoulder. Fuck, what a goal.
- 6:30 ... for the last six minutes or so the Wings have been 100 percent in control. Patrick Kane took a frustration cross-checking penalty, and the Wings are piling on the shots. Now somebody is skating around without a helmet and Mickey falls further into a bottomless black hole of drunken nostalgia. He's loving this game.
- 1:10 ... On the power play (I feel like I've typed that one hundred times) Homer takes a slapper to the face. Not quite Steve Yzerman --
... but he still got bloodied up a bit.
- 19:23 ... Franzen steals a goal to make it 3-0 Wings. Complete dominance tonight.
- 16:10 ... Larry Murphy (on the Hawks play tonight): "Kinda like playing Eukre without getting the right bower." I think this is my favorite Murphy quote ever. I'm serious. It was both preposterous and correct at the same time. I don't know how he does it.
- 7:50 ... Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice goal by Kopecky, good feed from Fil. 4-0. Save some for New Years, guys.