March 17, 2009

Flyers @ Wings pregame - Piling on

Maybe my favorite Red Wings fight that didn't involve French Avalanche players.



In case you were one of the like three hockey fans that didn't see this ...



... and one more to kick start the day. I could watch that every day for the rest of my life and it wouldn't get old.

**********

I'm anxious to see this game. I've been going through withdrawals having not seen a full game (or one on a television) for about two weeks. I have yet to see the growing legend that is Jonathan Ericsson. I start too many sentences with the word "I".

This is the first Wings/Flyers game since The Triple Deke was conceived, birthed, nurtured and raised into a full grown man with budding chest hair. These two last played on February 13th, 2007 when Philly won 6-1.

Last time the Flyers won in Hockeytown, I was macking on chicks in a sandbox.

The Flyers haven't won in Detroit since Nov. 4, 1988, going 0-13-0 with two ties in their last 15 trips to Joe Louis Arena - the NHL's longest active road winless streak by one team against an opponent. (Flyers.com)


Draper plays his 1,000th game in a Wing uniform tonight.

"Anytime you can join a group like that or there's a sentence and Draper slides in with them, it's a huge honor," said Draper, 37. "I know I've been fortunate. I've been able to stay relatively healthy throughout my career and just been given a tremendous opportunity to remain a Red Wing as long as I have." (DetNews)


Homer is suspended for tonight's game for breathing on Steve Mason in Columbus. Oh wait, that's wrong. He's missing the game because of a strained knee.

Holmstrom suffered the injury late Sunday at Columbus when he got caught in a rut in the ice ... "I just twisted it bad," Holmstrom said. "I'm day-to-day." (Freep)


Flip is also out with back problems or a knee thing or bad hair highlights, or something. Jonathan Ericsson will play defence, center and right wing simultaneously to make up for the absences.

(Update 3:12 PM - For a non-imaginary set of line combos, Matt at On The Wings has an interesting projection)

"Kopecky-Datsyuk-Franzen
Hossa-Zetterberg-Cleary
Hudler-Draper-Samuelsson
Meech-Maltby rotating in

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Lebda-Ericsson
Chelios rotating in"

:::::

Happy St. Patty's. Recap late tonight.

3 comments:

TDeters said...

Great post. Your Ericsson and Filpulla remarks were hilarious. Keep it up, Go Wings!

JB said...

My coworkers and I were laughing so hard at this post. (even those who hate the Wings love your blog!)

Favorite part had to be:

"Homer is suspended for tonight's game for breathing on Steve Mason in Columbus. Oh wait, that's wrong. He's missing the game because of a strained knee."

Great Post!

Chris in Hockey Hell said...

The clip of that fight is exactly what I was talking about over at A2Y yesterday. Man did Hartnell ever beat the shit out of Fisch's fist with his face.