April 24, 2009

This conversation will never end

The Puck Stops Here. I have a like/meh relationship with this site. Today is a "meh" day, as it brings up yet another Osgood in the Hall debate.

The gaping hole in the argument is that there is no point in Osgood’s career where it is possible to make an argument that he was the best goaltender in the NHL. No point where you can make an argument that for an extended period of time he was number two or number three, stuck behind future Hall of Famers either. The closest thing to such an argument is the 1995/96 season where Osgood finished on the Second Team All Star and was runner up to the Vezina Trophy. He was a distant second to Vezina winner Jim Carey in the voting. This was in a league with Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy, Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph, Martin Brodeur and others. The Vezina voting that year was seen as a group of underdogs, who never again deserved that level of Vezina support. Nevertheless, there is one season where it is possible to argue Osgood was the second best goalie in the league. That clearly puts him among a good group of goalies (including Roman Turek and Bob Froese).


Roman Turek's career playoff stats:


Bob freeze pop's career playoff stats:


I'm not going to lie to you -- I'm 23 years old. I have no fucking clue who Bob Froese is. But in essence, that sort of makes a point on it's own. Ozzie has more rings than Ol' Bob has playoff wins.

Turek's longest playoff run was 2001, when the Blues made the conference finals. Aside from that, the 2000 Blues won 51 games in the regular season and the West's #1 seed, only to lose to the Sharks in Round One.

...

First of all, I'm confused on the timing of this. It sounds like something that should be saved for the Summer, like, hopefully after Ozzie lifts the Cup again. Especially since that's a distinct possibility. A guy canNOT win three Cups in goal and be kept out of the Hall, or at least I would think.

Secondly, I acknowledge that all of us non-voters have different criteria for what a Hall Of Fame player looks like. Varying opinions are expected, and above all they're an OK thing to have. I happen to have one: I find it hard to take somebody seriously when they think Alex Ovechkin already is a HOF-er .

Finally, the "never one of the top goalies" thing. I not only tend to stay away from this, I think that it's not as important as, you know, Playoff success. Is Luongo a HOF-er right now? Kipper? Lundqvist? These are all guys that are almost universally acknowledged as being "better" than Ozzie, but they haven't won dick yet. Of course you wouldn't put them in the Hall yet. It's a matter of personal views, but I'll take a solid playoff laden resume over everything else.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever. Blah, blah, blah. I see a "gaping hole" here too, but it isn't in Opie's resume. Go Opie.

Tram

J.J. from Kansas said...

Maybe he needs to turn into a walking attitude problem. after #12

"I'm sorry, but I can't hear my detractors from having two of my Stanley Cup rings in my ears. Also, I have one on each middle finger for you assholes to look at too"

The Puck Stops Here said...

Is Luongo a HOF-er right now? Kipper? Lundqvist? These are all guys that are almost universally acknowledged as being "better" than Ozzie, but they haven't won dick yet. Of course you wouldn't put them in the Hall yet. You made the argument very well. If there are goalies universally accepted to be better than Osgood who you wouldn't put into the Hall of Fame, then of course you wouldn't put in Osgood when he is even worse.

Triple Deke Staff said...

Like I mentioned in the post it's a matter of view point. You're view is based on peak talent, whereas I'd prefer to see players go in based on a proven resume.

- Tyler