October 24, 2009

Brief PHX game thoughts


This is sad. I've already tried and failed to go to sleep at 1:00 AM on a Friday night. There is definitely nobody worse at being a college person than me.

I thought I'd kill a few minutes by summing yesterday's thoughts:

  • Datsyuk is as ridiculous as he wants to be. He had 3 or 4 of those "wow" plays that make you laugh because you don't know what to say about it. I loved that move he made in the 1st period, coming down the right wing where he was looking off the defender, staring 90 degrees to the left as if he was going to pass, and then he kept the puck and deked around him untouched. I don't know how his decrepit 31 year-old ass does it. Must be 'roids. And man, the awareness to pull to a stop and spoon feed Brett Lebda for his last ever NHL goal -- it's like he has the mental clarity and creativity of a 6th grader.
  • Hank and Pav should just stick together from now on. They weren't infallible as a unit last night (nobody was), but they had their moments. They always do.
  • May, 2009: we were all lining up and dropping to our knees in front of Johnny Ericsson. October, 2009: He's been on the ice for twice as many goals as the next closest Wing defender. It's hard to avoid how dicey he's looked. I'd still jump in front of a bullet for him though (mainly because he can bring people back from the dead).
  • Any of the talk about how Ozzie should escape all blame for this loss somehow is a bit annoying to me. If you're going to shit on the rest of the team for only playing a 50 minute game, then Oz has to take a little bit of heat for the 1st and 3rd goals. He still had a good game -- it just ended really badly and it's hard to sweep that under the rug.
  • My favorite moment of the game was Leino getting punked in the corner, and Fil coming to his rescue and laying a thunderous body check. The new Filppula is simply awesome ... it's like he's transforming by the minute. If the Red Wings were high school students and this was the first week after summer vacation, Fil would be the pretty girl who everyone is looking at because her boobs doubled in size.
  • Wings are in Denver tomorrow night at 9. I hope to catch most of it to provide a recap but if State can upset Iowa then all bets are off.

3 comments:

Kraig said...

"If the Red Wings were high school students and this was the first week after summer vacation, Fil would be the pretty girl who everyone is looking at because her boobs doubled in size."

I just woke up my wife laughing. I tried to explain the joke but she didn't laugh. She doesn't appreciate you guys like I do.

cmk said...

And there were people questioning my love of VF--and asking just how long DO we have to wait for him to get going. I KNEW he wouldn't let me down. (And I DIDN'T just put a curse on him, did I? I might be a mother, but I'm not THAT powerful!) I like that he's getting a bit feisty--maybe if he got a few stitches on his face, you guys wouldn't ALWAYS comment on his prettiness. ;)

Osrt said...

"Fil would be the pretty girl who everyone is looking at because her boobs doubled in size."

How did you get access to my fantasy? I paid good money to keep that undercover.

fuch yes, two sets of euro twins; it's like a doublemint ad, except Pav would be the weird dude who doesn't have a double but just wants to hang out with doubles...err...where was i? Oh yea, shit was awesome when Fil came to the rescue.