ST. LOUIS BLUES 4 - 3 DETROIT RED WINGS
The good ol' NHL's back in town (or more precisely, way the fuck out of town), and for the second straight season a lackluster Opening Night results in a one goal loss. Lucky for us, Def Leppard didn't turn a trophy upside down after the game to put another 50 years of bad luck on us, so we only have 49 more cursed seasons to trudge through.
Brief game thoughts:
- Kris Draper turned about 9 years younger and used the assistance of a referee to help do the dirty work for the first goal of the year, put in by Jonathan Ericsson. It was a little mind-blowing. Big E then left the game later after hurting his ankle, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal. To not freak out about it, just remember that he's not Andrei Markov right now.
- Kirk Maltby scored a shorthander for the Wings second goal. It was really mind-blowing. He even roofed it like he knew what he was doing.
- The Wings lost out on some power play opportunities, scoring only once with Ville Leino's wrister in the 2nd period, which was more due to a rush than an actuall PP setup.
- Then the '08-09 regular season nonsense started happening, and the Blues came to life with three unanswered goals. Franzen took his second penalty of the game, which led to the Blues first goal in the comeback; then Ozzie went limp and gave up a gift rebound for the equalizer; Paul Kariya got his second of the game to make it 4-3, and the Wings couldn't respond in the third. It was all probably because they're old and lost 90 goals in the offseason.
- Ozzie had a sterling save percentage of 82%; Chris Mason on the other hand was stellar even though he gave up three, and had a few huge saves that prevented the Wings from taking a 3 or 4 goal lead.
- Bertuzzi was a minus-2 and raped at least four people. That 2nd line either just looked sluggish from not being in playing shape, or Ms. Baroque has the nail right on the head with Bert making his linemates like 60% less effective than they actually are.
- The Tigers are killing me. Literally fucking killing me. If they don't pull this thing out, it would cap off an epic year of Championship/late season failures of my favorite teams. To be perfectly honest, I'd take a Wings loss tomorrow coupled with State losing by 70 and Mark Dantonio being outed as the 20th hijacker if it meant the Twins would lose and the Tigers would win.
- New Triple Deke feature this season (OH SNAP, NEW FEATURE Y'ALL): Top 3 Wings of the Game:
#3 ~ Ville Leino: 1 goal, played well with Flip and should make for an exciting duo.
#2 ~ Kris Draper -- 1 very good assist in his knew role at Right Wing (still taking draws, went 5 of 8.)
#1 ~ Kirk Maltby -- Goal and an assist; also got caught by Versus cameras yelling "Fucking dive!" after BJ Crombeen felt his own urine trickle down his leg and collapsed.