BUFFALO SABRES 6 - 2 DETROIT RED WINGS
That was one of the worst Red Wings efforts I've ever seen. Not everybody was guilty, but enough of them were to make this an awful game.
- Osgood played pretty well for giving up five. Hard to consistently stop pucks when the men in front of you are boycotting the slot and crease area. How many times did you see a Sabre in Ozzie's face? 70? Like every possession?
- Babcock's little line juggling ended at the start of the 3rd when he put the Pav/Hank/Homer line back together, and -- gasp -- they scored a goal together.
- Kronwall started the game well, laid a colossal hit, picked up an assist .... and then ended up a minus 2 thanks to a disastrous 2nd period. I can only describe his give-away on Thomas Vanek's second goal as maniacally retarded.
- I've seen few Wings games with more botched passes and breakouts as this one. Even the simple passes, like a matter of 6 or 7 feet, seemed oddly challenging.
- I've seen three out of five Wings games -- all losses. Total of 15 goals against in those three games. After a whole summer of trying to remain calm and talk up the "motivation" angle and everything else, I have yet to see THE Red Wings show up. It's a little bothersome. Still very early though .... (Count this as my bid for the "Gamewrecker" title.)
- Datsyuk could be the most talented player in the world, and tonight he looked absolutely high. With a sluggish 2-2 record and an obvious call to pick up the slack with Franzen out (and Hossa and Hudler and Samuelsson and Kopecky), I barely noticed him.
- I liked what I saw out of Filppula, Leino and Helm (who wasn't playing like a guy coming off a month-long injury stint. Not that he knows how to do that anyway). I just enjoy watching Fil and Leino play together. Rumor has it that they attribute much of their good chemsitry to countless hours of Pictionary.
- Jimmy Howard didn't let in nine goals like I was sure he would, so that's good I guess. (God I just want to hit the reset button on this fucking season.)
- Honest question: do you think Derek Meech is better than Chris Chelios right now?
- Another question: Am I crazy, or did I hear Darren Eliot say that Steve Yzerman was born in Detroit? Versus showed the Captain up in the press box, then showed a couple of his highlights, and that's about when I thought I heard it. Could be wrong, since I didn't see anyone else bring this up. But this would be hilarious if it actually happened. Please tell me I'm not crazy.