DETROIT RED WINGS 4 - 3 ST. LOUIS BLUES (SO)
It took a fluke goal and a skills gimmick, but the Wings pulled out a humongous two points tonight.
I was all set to declare this game the 9th different "rock bottom" so far this season. After Kris Draper had tied it up early in the 3rd, Brad Boyes scored a disheartening goal at 8:32 to put the Blues ahead again. And for parts of the next ten minutes -- in between the Blues trying to get the Wings to quit by icing the puck repeatedly like this was NHL 10 -- it really felt like this season couldn't get any worse. I didn't feel that the Blues were even playing all that spectacularly defensively and yet consecutive passes or a sustained attack seemed too advanced for the Wings. That's the type of lineup we have right now. Everything has to be like pulling teeth.
But they still did it. And just how "flukey" was Hank's goal, really? Yes it got a lucky bounce, but that's becoming his thing now. That fluttering backhand from the right corner. He set up Dan(ny) Cleary to win the Anaheim series on a pass just like it. He's set up Homer a couple of times this year with it. Who's to say he wasn't aiming for the inside of Jackman's elbow? "Common sense", you say? Whatever. I just can't believe they scored with the goalie pulled. It was the first time in the history of the Detroit Red Wings that they scored with an extra attacker. That is a fact. I'm not even going to look that up.
- Let me get this out of the way: Nice move, #44. That's your move and you actually did it with ease. Not a terrible past few games, either. P.S: Eat shit. (Just kidding! Wouldn't want you get sick! But seriously though.)
- Another questionable outing from Leino again as he resorted to playing laser tag with himself or whatever the fuck it is that he's doing out there.
- Just bury it, Darren Helm. There is nothing you could possibly do to make me stop liking you but my god if there is a way to not score a goal, you sir have found it.
- Drapes has 4 goals, 3 assists and is a +1 for the season. I'll take that.
- Homer is on pace for 31 goals.
- May and Abdelkader were good. When May ended up on Pav's line in the 3rd period I shat a little bit.
TOP THREE WINGS
#3 ~ Jonathan Ericsson ... He played three more minutes than Nick Lidstrom (28:20) and the world didn't end.
#2 ~ Jimmy Howard ... 32 saves on 35 shots. 6-2-1 record in his last nine games; SV% has climbed to .902.
#1 ~ Henrik Zetterberg ... Huge assist to break the longest goal scoring drought ever. Huge-ier goal to save the game with under a minute to go. Team MVP.