DALLAS STARS @ DETROIT RED WINGS
7:30 -- Joe Louis Arena
Stars: 12-7-7 (31 points), 7th in West | Wings: 12-9-4 (28 points), 9th in West
Stars blog of choice: Penalty Killing
One of the perks of being best friends with Mike and Marian Ilitch (by the way, we're best friends with Mike and Marian Ilitch) is that they like to include you in team activities and stuff. This past weekend was all about the holiday shopping, so Mrs. Ilitch wanted us to tag along and help pick out some Christmas gifts for the players. Except for Jason Williams, who is a Jehovah's Witness (of course).
We were given the wish lists of a few different players. Also, since we're on the cusp of the 13/41-st mark of the season, it sounded like a good time to reset and summarize things a bit. Below are the lists and a thought about each player's status.
- Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts, size 10
- Wilson tennis balls
- Just For Men - Touch of Gray
- Norelco T980 Accuvac beard & mustache trimmer
- Wool socks
- About six more injuries to various players to increase ice time
- Auto-Tune EFX software
- Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II
- Assorted tupperware
- Nothing else
- Garfield & Friends seasons 3 and 4 on DVD
- Xbox 360 controller / rechargeable battery pack
- Michael Phelps
- New Moon duffel bag and Team Jacob matching tank top
- Vintage Flapper-era Pube Primp from the Winifred Matheson collection
- Protec roller derby wrist guards
We're still looking at another month without him and each passing day brings more sadness. I felt worse for him -- about how he was playing with such confidence and was turning into a really, really effective player -- than how I felt about it affecting the team I watch. I just hope he doesn't come back thinking that he has to do more than he's capable of.
- Thomas S. Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions in paperback
- Home Depot gift card
- CCM Vector V10.0 hockey stick
Part of what you get with your subscription to this blog is blunt honesty (I think). So I'm going to put this out there: I have nowhere near a smart enough hockey mind to break down and analyze what Nick is doing differently this year compared to his previous 17 seasons. If you've spotted something, I'm all ears. Or I guess "eyes" would be more accurate. But until then I'm going to continue to fabricate excuses for him that completely ignore rationality and reason.
- Wooden keg; 450 pounds of gun powder; bowling ball; roughly three feet of rope; old-time metal ball alarm clock; one of those gigantic portraits of open road that tricks people into driving through them; and probably some duct tape just in case.