DETROIT RED WINGS 3 - 1 NEW YORK RANGERS
What a huge win.
I didn't get a jump on this game until after Midnight. The whole day leading up to getting home, I was honestly scared to watch it. I simply wished that there wasn't a game on. But I watched dutifully, and what I saw was a gritty, rewarding performance. Saturday, the Wings played a good team in their building and battled back for a point. They played another road game Sunday and ground out two points. I will certainly take three out of four and I'm happy with the majority of what I saw over those two games.
- Ken Daniels mentioned at the start that Jimmy Howard wears #35 because his idol growing up was Mike Richter. For what it's worth, renowned man slut Henrik Lundqvist wears #30 to represent the number of women that he sexed before the age of 12.
- The unit of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Rafalski and Lidstrom had a shift for the ages in the first period*. Or perhaps it used to be the norm and I've just forgotten what it looks like, but in any event it was great. The Rangers were so tired afterward that they fucked up a line change, then the Wings came right back and forced a penalty.
- * When I watch games alone and make pithy comments to my imaginary friend Otis -- who laughs at all of my jokes, even the distasteful sexist ones -- I refer to Pav/Z/Homer/Raf/Lids as one solitary unity called the "Five Fingers".
- The Rangers goal was the very definition of "deflating". Abdelkader turned the puck over and then Ericsson didn't cover for him on the ensuing rush. This was toward the end of a monster 1st period for the Wings but they went into the break down 1-0.
- Over the past few months you probably haven't noticed my contempt for #44 because I've been so subtle with it. But the truth is I don't really like the way he fits in with the Wings lineup. I will say, however, that his head-first diving block at the end of the 1st period was straight up balls. Even if he didn't mean it and he was just falling forward like a fuck up.
- What a difference a Lidstrom makes. Big E had a terrible game. Jimmy Howard used all 6'1" of himself to stop the penalty shot that resulted from Ericsson trying to give the Rangers an early Christmas Present (<---------- TURNOVER PUNS FTW)
- In this horrid, injury plagued season in which each day brings a handful of new players to LTIR, how on Earth is Marian Gaborik still healthy? How, I ask? I imagine that his life is like the Final Destination movies and he keeps cheating death somehow. Security should be on him 24 hours a day. It would be no surprise if Chris Drury's skate mysterious fell off his foot and threw itself and Gaborik's throat.
- Mick went off on some rant in the 2nd period about not understanding Jimmy's thinking that he has to prove his critics wrong. What Mick failed to mention was that he thinks Jimmy Howard is the guy who gets him hotdogs during intermissions, and is not a Red Wing goaltender playing in like his 18th season in the organization.
- The Brad Stuart hit on Anisimov was "DAAAAAAAAAAMN" inducing.
- Oddly enough, with Brendan Shanahan in attendance looking on, Dan(ny) Cleary gets the go-ahead goal via a no angle bank shot. I celebrated like the Wings won an overtime playoff game, albeit with pants on.
#3 ~ Nick Lidstrom ... Nick had help from others, including his partner Rafalski (who looked sharp all things considered), but played a huge roll in shutting down Gaborik to the tune of zero shots on goal. I thought the whole team did a good job on him when they needed to.
#2 ~ Jimmy Howard ... One of his best games. The rebounds were more under control tonight than any game I can recall to this point. Huge stop on the penalty shot, huge stop on Higgins' breakaway, huge job on the PK on the 3rd.
#1 ~ Pavel Datsyuk ... 1 and 2 were a coin flip to me here. This one to me was all about how Pav kept getting in the way of passes and making plays with his stick in the defensive zone. It had to have been five or six times at least that he broke up a pass or snuck into a play to make an interception. His goal was sort of important too.
FYI: I know I drop these school-related notes every so often, but the next two weeks are crunch time for me and posting might get sparse, I'm not sure. Luckily this will be the last of me dealing with this "school" business. After that, I'm all yours (seductive wink).