December 31, 2009

"Top ____ of the Decade" Blowout -- Everything Must Go!


COLORADO AVALANCHE @ DETROIT RED WINGS

7:00 -- Joe Louis Arena

Avs: 23-12-6 (52 points), 3rd in West | Wings: 19-14-6 (44 points), 10th in West
_________________________________________________________


Avalanche blog of choice:


I started the "Top Five" decade splurge a few weeks ago with the intent of doing many. I only finished two of them.

Here are some random #1's that didn't find homes on complete lists.

*****

TOP ASSIST: PAVEL DATSYUK'S FOOT



I honestly wanted to do a Top Five assists list. I have no idea how hard that would have been. Probably would've taken three whole days.

This had to the top one for me though because it actually made me say the words, "Oh that silly Pavel" out loud -- and I was watching the game by myself.


TOP AWESOME GOAL: THE DATSYUKIAN DEKE




1) It's not even in a shootout, and it's the best deke I've ever seen. He did this during a real game.

2) It's now his signature move. How awesome is that? To be good enough in the sport's top league to have your very own move.



FUNNIEST MOMENT EVER OF THE DECADE EVER. EVER.



God I miss Franzen.


FUNNIEST MOMENT EVER OF THE DECADE EVER. EVER. (TIE)





TOP NIKLAS KRONWALL MOMENT THAT MADE YOU THINK HE MIGHT BE A DESCENDANT OF A TRAIN



Because Havlat is okay, it's alright for us to make light of this (that's how this works, right?). And in making light of a horrifically violent collision, I still get a kick out of the Blackhawks being so overcome with rage that they try to get revenge by nearly chopping poor Marty up with their skates. This is most evident from the 0:10 mark to the 0:20 mark, in which Havlat would have been fearing for his life if he weren't already a corpse.


TOP WORST SHOCKING LOSS: 2006 FIRST ROUND


Even in a decade in which the Wings won two Cups, there were plenty of disappointing moments as well. The Kings ... the Ducks ... the Flames .... I found this one to be the most upsetting out of all the upsets.

58 regular season wins. Yzerman's final year. Manny Legace's face.



Yeah, I'm sure you watched that video.



TOP MOMENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOCKEY: MAGGLIO'S WALK OFF


The MLB are a bunch of tools. How do you put a halt to waning interest among young people? Keep all highlights off Youtube, of course. Whatever ... I tracked it down.


TOP MOMENT FROM A GAME THAT WE PRETEND DIDN'T HAPPEN: BRIAN RAFALSKI'S GO-AHEAD GOAL IN "GAME 5"



I was more naturally high on bliss and child-like happiness (Okay there was a smidgen of angel dust too) after this goal than .... well, maybe anything ever. They played like balls for the first 20 minutes, and then for the next 39:26 they played like the balls. Two totally different things, people.

I'll remember this goal for the sappy memory of watching it with my two BFFs, and us awkwardly trying to stay just friends as we mauled each other in celebration. To this day I'm not sure if we succeeded or not.


TOP ASS CHEEK CLINCHER




TOP GAME OF THE DECADE: 2002 FINALS, GAME 3



Read in greater detail here.


TOP MOMENT OF THE DECADE:

In a memorable decade, this is still an easy choice for me. Cue the leprechaun music.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Everyone!

Thanks for the videos.

"Cue the leprechaun music" Great epilogue. So great, I an now considering it for my epitaph.
Either that of "They can go fuck themselves"

Tram

hockeychic said...

Happy New Year!

I still can't wait the 2006 video - that was way too painful (and still is). Great montage, thank you so much.

Is it too much to ask for a Wings win tonight?

Anonymous said...

OR "They Can Go Fuck Themselves" OR. Sorry. Never post on a blog before the caffeine has set in.

Tram

jennyquarx said...

Very cool post.

Crazy how most of those moments are just engraved on your brain.

Happy New Year!

mrfluffy said...

The worst part is most of us were ready to hand Legace the rope after that Game Six loss...and his play that series wasn't that bad compared to the rest of the team.

Great ending with the Shanny music.

David said...

that rolling hug between Yzerman and Shanny is absolutely magical

Osrt said...

Happy New Year Guys!

Looking forward to a new year for the Wings.

cmk said...

I TOTALLY miss Franzen, too. :( That clip will always make me smile for hours.

Baroque said...

Even Blackhawk fans have to laugh at that clip with Franzen. No matter what team you follow, a kid gnawing on his mouthguard like a puppy with a chew toy just begs for someone to rip it out - and I'd be just as annoyed if it was a Red Wing chewing on that thing like it was a gum substitute. :)

At least his rehabilitation is going well. He'll be back eventually.

PaulinMiamiBeach said...

Yeah, I'm sure you watched that video.

you're an asshole.

Guilherme Calciolari said...

Aw, the Shannerman.. beatiful, isn't?