Good to get back into the swing of things here with a recap. I got insanely sick over the weekend and haven't really recovered until now, but then Dallas had me puking by the end of this game anyway, so my rehabilitation of Snack Packs and Gatorades were all for naught.
Oh yeah, the Datsyuk/Lidstrom suspension thing. No comment. I can't explain it, but that shit annoyed the hell out of me. Both sides of the argument. It's over and done with and erased from my memory.
Zetterberg will be a Wing from now until I'm in my mid thirties. Wow that feels weird to say. Awesome deal by Holland -- if he somehow pulls off Hossa and Franzen, the Internet will break. I won't know what to say.
Speaking of Z, in the last post I went on a whiny tangent where I claimed that he was due for his annual back mishap, and wouldn't you know it, the next game he leaves early with back spasms. I take full responsibility for this. To the both of you Wings fans reading this, I am sorry.
Anyway, onto the loss.
- 20:00 ... In the Wings pregame, John Keating compared the security of Hank's new contract to The Snuggie. I'm aware he's known for (if nothing else) his obscure references, but this is a new low. If Osgood has a good game, I pray that Keating doesn't compare his pads to a Sham-Wow set.
- 20:00 ... Larry Murphy Quote of the Night -- When asked by Keating what the Hank re-signing means to the team, Murph responds (among other things) with: "... he plays well under the crunch." It's 25 minutes before game time and I'm already closing the pole. "Under the Crunch" cannot possibly be topped.
- 19:39 ... Marty Turco trips over his tampon string while trying to play the puck behind his net. Possibly a sign of good things to come for the Wings.
- 17:15 ... Aaron Downey takes his first shift, and makes a hit within the first five seconds. Awesome. All the better that the target was Steve Ott.
- 10:25 ... Draper plays some glue-like D on Mike Modano (with Modano hanging onto his arm) and gets called for a penalty. If Drapes can't do that without getting called for a penalty, his on-ice contribution to the team is rendered comepletely useless, aside from the faceoffs I guess. Naturally, Dallas scores on the power play. Red Wings o-1 Stars.
- 9:10 ... Now Chelios gets four minutes for a high stick. Turco couldn't be more happy. Dallas scores again in the first half of the double minor. Red Wings 0-2 Stars.
- 1:28 ... So Drapes gets kicked out of the circle, Cleary loses the draw and it leads to another Stars goal. So much for ducking class early to catch the start of the game. My god. Red Wings 0-3 Stars.
- 20:00 ... Conk comes out to start the 2nd Period for Ozzie. I'm certain that somebody is working on a photoshop for The Pensblog as I type this. My only suggestion for the Photoshopper is that when you cut-and-paste that giant penis into Ozzie's mouth, be sure to show an unused box of condoms next to him because he had no protection in this game.
- 17:00 ... Hossa takes down a dude, commiting like his 400th tripping penalty this year. On the ensuing power play, Conk drifts out of the crease like a toddler stumbling into traffic, and a wrap-around makes the score Red Wings 0-4 Stars.
- 15:54 ... Red Wings 1-4 Stars. We got one. Hossa gets a little bit of retribution by tipping in Raf's wrister from the point. So we went from "dead" to a slight pulse.
- 14:26 ... Penalty coming to the Stars and Aaron Downey nearly gets into a brawl with Barch. The crowd is getting back into it ... no, no, no -- don't let yourself think they can win this -- it will only lead to pain and anguish. They fail to convert.
- 9:10 ... Big play in the game now: Dan Cleary takes a sorta-kinda harmless shot, and Turco nearly pees himself trying to save it. The puck flutters off his blocker behind him, but doesn't quite cross the line. Score remains the same, but Turco might be a little rattled by that. I hope. But, Darryl Sydor gets delay of game for pushing the net off.
- 7:31 ... Yes I'm trying to beat a dead horse here, but Turco makes a terribly awkward looking save attempt. He nearly broke both his legs trying to slide over for the one-timer save. What in the fuck happens to this guy when he plays at the Joe?
- 4:49 ... ANDREAS LILJA scores??!! Now I'm convinced. We're winning this bitch. His second of the season, aided by a Kopy screen makes it Red Wings 2-4 Stars. By the way I have no idea what I'm doing with the color-coding of the teams when there's a score. Not a fucking clue. All I know is that I like colors. They are fun.
- 3:00 ... The Wings are outhitting the Stars 23-10. Downey has like 22 of them. I didn't realize how much I missed Aaron Downey (in a non gay way). Okay I'm a little gay for him.
- 0:54 ... Ott skates by Conk and knocks his helmet off, leading to a goalie interference call and a few words shared between the two. This game game is really heating up ... potential game of the year stuff.
- 0:37 ... Oh you're fucking kidding me. Trevor Daley pushes Homer into Turco as Lidstrom scores, and HOMER gets an interference call as the goal gets waved.
- 0:30 ... Daley needlessly chops at Pav's stick after a whistle, and DATSYUK nearly brawls with him. This is getting insane. And we're headed for a huge 3rd period. Crowd is electric.
- 13:00 ... seven minutes into this period and both teams have had trouble recapturing the energy of the last period. What in the hell happened. I've had nothing to write. This obviously benefits the Stars.
- 7:17 ... still nothing to comment on. The Stars have squeezed the excitement out of this game with their 0-0-5 forechecking scheme. At least Steve Ott took another penalty ...
- 3:47 ... Nothing comes of the power play. Time is very quickly slipping away.
- 1:46 ... Homer gets called for a penalty when he picks up the puck in a scrum. At least it was funny, I guess.
- 0:00 ... Stars win.
It's hard to say that the Homer/interference thing took the wind out the Wings sails, because it occured right at the end of the period and they still appeared to have all of the momentum. But the fact remains that it was yet another bullshit wave-off called on Homer, and a one goal game might've been played differently in the final period. I don't know. I'm not one to shout about conspiracy theories against the Wings, so I won't go there. But it's just too odd how Homer gets called for that so many times. (As I type this, Trevor Thompson is interviewing Turco. "It's a call that I wish they'd make more often," he says. Oh fuck off. You moved into him. Daley pushed him onto you. Eat shit.)
The fact remains that Dallas jumped down our throats early on and deserved the win regardless. It makes me sick to think Turco walked out of here with the win when a couple of bounces here or there could've left him in such a mental wreck that he wouldn't ever win at game at the Joe. It was close, but still so far. Oh well.