Today, The Triple Deke celebrates either its second birthday or second anniversary, I haven't decided which. I'm leaning toward "birthday" because those are more fun, and because it was a conception of an idea that was followed by a birth, screaming, crying, and copious amounts of blood.
It feels like we've been doing this for ages, so for this to be only the two-year mark is kind of strange. In that time our little site has grown from nothing to a slightly bigger form of nothing that includes the occasional Asian porn spam bot. I've enjoyed every minute of being able to discuss hockey and anything else with people who are as crazy about those things as me. Getting involved with the online hockey community was one of the best things I've ever done, as it has filled a large void where mumbling to myself and talking to the wall after Wings games used to take place.
I have to thank our readers for making that happen. Your patronage and general kindness has done wonders in terms of making me think that there might be people out there who aren't online predators. Granted, those folks still make up 65% of our readership, but the other 35% are a great bunch to talk to. Thank you for stopping by each day, linking us on the other lame sites that you read, recommending us to friends and buying our merchandise (oh wait, I'm reading from the 3rd Birthday thank-you speech which follows the unveiling of our Emilio Estevez pajamas .... forget I said anything.) I never, ever imagined that I would enjoy this as much as I have, and I owe that to you people. Having an audience to regurgitate my ramblings to makes writing a long post at 4:30 AM seem worthwhile. You guys are the best imaginary friends I could ask for.
Here's to another year (I'm holding up a glass of orange juice) of tomfoolery and hijinx the likes of which the world has never experienced. Or something.
Let's Go Red Wings.