April 2, 2010

Game #77 -- Red Wings vs. Blue Jackets


DETROIT RED WINGS 3 - 2 COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS


The Wings have now reached that odd, seemingly indeterminable number of points that magically awards them a playoff spot. They are at 95. By my math (which is awful, for what it's worth), they have a magic number of 3 to for-realsies clinch a spot in Mike Babcock's tournament.

We had a couple of injury scares with Flip's wrist and Mule's foot, so hopefully they're alright. What wasn't scary was Rick Nash; no points and only took two shots the entire night. He did try to check Hank into the Detroit River, but there were no casualties. I consider it a success whenever the Blue Jackets play a whole game and Nash hasn't killed somebody with one of his life-altering charges to the net.

Other thoughts ...

  • Babcock now has a coaching record of 254-100-51. Totally missed the celebration for loss #100 the other day. So congratulations Mike. You didn't earn it, or something.
(Wait a minute .... you don't congratulate people for losing. That is backwards. Oh, what a silly blog!)
  • Columbus coach Claude Noel looks like a substitute physics teacher. Every time they showed him it made me want to fold up a paper airplane and throw it at Dane Van Horn's head (I'm running with the assumption that you know Dane Van Horn is a kid I went to high school with, and that I was a bit of a class clown that made teachers want to get in their minivans and drive off a cliff and into a blue whale's mouth. That's a slight exaggeration, but so is your penis.)
  • Mickey said that Datsyuk "has more moves than a monkey on a high wire". I don't know about you, but I'm just a tad uncomfortable with Mick haphazardly throwing out any phrase with the word "monkey" in it. It's the same feeling I get when my dad is around a big group of people after a few drinks and starts talking about the Middle East. I'm calling it now -- within five years he's going to be off the air because of a Jimmy the Greek-type moment.
  • Homer probably gets so much credit for being an annoying shitbrick in front of the net that he isn't credited enough for his work in the corners, namely his ability to retrieve a 50/50 puck and get it back to the point or an open man. That's what he did on Datsyuk's power play goal, a wicked wrist shot that brough upon Ken Daniels' "SNIPED" call -- which honestly I don't hate like some of you do. I sort of enjoy it. Keep doing it, Ken. You go girl.
  • #44's "Kick" goal: That one was so close to call that I'm surprised it was overturned. I don't know the specifics of the rule (I could look it up .... should I look it up? ...... probably ..... mehhhh) but it would seem to me that it doesn't matter if he was intending to redirect it or not, as long as there was some motion with the foot. However slight, he did appear to motion his foot into position to redirect it. Final verdict: fuck it! We scored!
  • I'm surprised that R.J. Umberger got a 3-stars selection over Jimmy Howard, who had to mae around 10 reeeally good saves to keep the Wings in front. Columbus had chances off the rush the entire game it seemed.
  • Watching this team play with a late lead feels like staring into the sun without eyelids.
  • We'll be at the Joe to watch the all important Wings/Preds game on Saturday afternoon, and apparently we're getting treated to some sort of V.I.P., autograph-y post game thing. No idea what is going to come of that, but you'll know it went well if we come back screaming like an N'Sync fan who found a Timberlake pube outside of their tour bus.
Go Wings


11 comments:

Osrt said...

Good luck with the pube hunt. Which reminds me, Happy Easter.

(No offense to you heathens out there who worship the sacred bunny's sperm spreading abilities.)

Hit me up to pick up Brent's jacket and/ or hang out after the game. It can be the Spoon Off--local edition.

Anonymous said...

I love the Mick, but he is getting very close to "crazy old man" territory. I really don't want to hear Mick's political views anymore during a broadcast. Sigh. Go out with class Mick - go back to the tried and true Mickeyisms like "coast to coast with buttered toast" and "Katie bar the door". Don't make me stop loving you - you crazy old man.

Tram

Anonymous said...

Umberger Helper only scored that goal because Columbus pulled Mason and was on a powerplay, so it's even more ridiculous that he got a star over Jimmy.

~breakaway

J.J. from Kansas said...

You guys just don't understand Mick. As a child, he was studying to be the world's foremost show animal behaviorist before a freak accident injured the part of his brain that keeps him from chuckling at inappropriate moments. Just one small guffaw at a dog wearing a tutu while balancing plates on its nose and the gig was all over for him. Dejected, he turned to hockey and was able to eke out a somewhat decent career followed by a broadcast gig.

He's settled into a life he calls comfortable which he really does love, but sometimes the childhood memories come back and he gets reminded of a day when he was 14 at the circus and saw a monkey on a highwire with just an amazing amount of moves. You may think he's crazy when he brings it up, but if you had tried to count the moves that monkey had, you'd probably go insane too. Saying that Datsyuk has even more moves is the highest compliment he can give. It's like the Mickey Redmond Medal of Honor.

hockeychic said...

Have fun on Saturday (I'm not too jealous, really, well maybe a lot).

I watched the Wings game and then turned to watch the end of Blues/Preds to see if the Blues could help us out but they blew it in spectacular fashion. Then switched to Kings/Nucks to see if the Nucks would help us but Luongo apparently had other plans.

Wings have to cut down on turnovers in the defensive zone.

Triple Deke Staff said...

J.J. from Kansas said...

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you've been awake for like four days straight.

- Tyler

creasemonkey said...

Columbus coach Claude Noel looks like a substitute physics teacher. Every time they showed him it made me want to fold up a paper airplane and throw it at Dane Van Horn's head (I'm running with the assumption that you know Dane Van Horn is a kid I went to high school with, and that I was a bit of a class clown that made teachers want to get in their minivans and drive off a cliff and into a blue whale's mouth. That's a slight exaggeration, but so is your penis.)

This made me giggle like a school girl getting tickled by the neighborhood pedophile.

J.J. from Kansas said...

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that you've been awake for like four days straight.

Well, most of the time it's been straight. I don't want to talk about the rest...

word verification: berbele (I think it's pronounced "beer belly")

Amerinadian said...

Come on. We all know that Bertuzzi does not have the talent or skill to have intentionally directed a puck with his skate. He was probably just trying to get out of the way.

cmk said...

I just about pyörtyi* with the almost-injuries to VF and Franzen. I KNOW it got dark for a few minutes and I saw, heard, and knew nothing. Then I just made my mind cancel any thoughts of injury--and it worked till I read this. ;)


*Finnish for 'fainted.' I think I'll just go back to 'plotz'--it's easier to type and MUCH easier to say. :D

Rob said...

Silly blog indeed, penis references and all.

Anyway, the rule is (this is from a ref,you can trust me...plus I have candy) that you CAN intentionally direct it into the net. You CANNOT make a kicking motion. #44 made a kicking motion. Therefore....I don't know why it counted, but fuck it!

Finally, I am 100% with you on Holmer being an underrated puck retriever. He made nearly the same play on Datsyuks tying goal today against Bubba