SAN JOSE SHARKS 4 - 3 DETROIT RED WINGS
- The first 30 seconds were terrible and frightening. Sharks dominate possession and draw a penalty. What was the penalty? Apparently Howard for slashing, but I don't really know because the game was on Versus. This set the tone for the night, both on the ice and behind the camera.
- Thornton turnover, forced by Kronwall. Datsyuk picks up the puck, fights off two defenders and slots a beautiful wrister over Nabakov's glove. Reminiscent of Game 6 in the first round when the Wings were throwing everything at the Coyotes, they hung together and got the first goal. Didn't quite end up the same though.
- The biggest reason I hate watching games that take place in San Jose? It's not the "tank". Not the usual 10:30 start times. It's the camera angles. It seems for years that the camera position was way too wide, and I thought that that's just where the camera has to be positioned at HP Pavilion. Now, Versus appears to have discovered that little button that let's you zoom in on objects, and are getting wild with it. Buck wild, I might dare to say. Tonight's game looked like somebody's drunk uncle recording a family cookout, except with commercials and without an excessive use of the phrase, "you know why I love you? No really. I fuggin' love you. Wanna know why? Do you? Do you wanna know why? What were we talking about?"
- Joe Pavelski is whatever is whiter than white hot. I think that might be "translucent". He is translucent hot right now. Scores the first Sharks goal, then sets up the next with a little help from Stu and Flip. He finished with three points, 20 attempted shots, 13 faceoff wins on 16 attempts, and has nearly found a place on the Max Talbot All Star team.
- I don't understand why the Wings don't win faceoffs anymore. This was something in all my years of watching that I've been fortunate to never worry about.
- Howard robs Malholtra! What a save! That's one of the best glove saves I've ever seen! Wow, can't wait to watch the repl-- oh, of course. It goes right to commercial. Damn, now I have to wait for this Cash for Gold shit to be over with ... oh well, I'm sure they'll show it when they come back. I mean, that was a pretty remarkable save, no? One of the best of his young career. Okay, here it is-- Ah, nope, no they won't show it. Lindsay Soto is talking to some dude in section 218. Yep. There she is. Talking again. These cutaway interviews are just so fucking insightful, aren't they?
- Homer had a big night, ass-facing Nabokov to help out on two goals.
- What a reputation #44 must have. Two of the most mind-blowingly pathetic dives ever committed by man led to penalties -- the humiliating dive from Nabokov on one of the goaltender interference calls, in which #44's knee grazed against Nabokov's, sending him back into the net as if a cannonball plunged into his chest; and another holding penalty which led to an eventual 5-on-3 and a goal. The Wings DID take some dumb penalties, but there were some awful, awful calls made that ruined what could've been a fantastic game between two very good teams. I wish that saying this would actually change something, but the refereeing in this sport is inexcusably terrible at times.
- And what I hope people will at least try to acknowledge is that the officiating was terrible for both ends. I'd argue that we got the worst of it if you tally up some of the non-calls as well, but San Jose got jobbed for a pretend boarding penalty on Patrick Marleau and a ri-fucking-diculous goalie interference call on Dany Heatley, in which it was plain as day that he was checked into Howard (with no other traffic in the area, it's borderline despicable that a call this bad can be made at the NHL level.) Off hand I can still think of a hook, a slash and a too-many-men call against us that were legit all in the 3rd period, so it wasn't all on the zebras. (This attempt at a clear eyed, level headed paragraph was for reader Fox. You fuck.)
- Versus accidentally went to commercial during a Wings 3rd period PP, and came back after Nabakov made a big glove save. After missing numerous shots on goal with the zoomed in camera, the overuse of the word "buxom" and too much Lindsay Soto, I seriously considered turning off the TV and flipping on the radio. I really did. And Versus asks me before the playoffs if I'll blog for them as a Wings rep. and pimp their coverage on our site. Eat a taint.
- Lastly, because I know that you're all looking to place blame after a loss like this: You can put it on me. Before the game I tweeted (What's that you say? You're not following @thetripledeke on Twitter? Improve your sex life by following right now! *Chest bump*) that the Wings had never faced a 2-0 or 3-1 series deficit under Babcock. Also, they're now 0-5 when I watch with Ms. Deke, but undefeated the entire season when watching with the entire TTD crew. It's as if I wanted this to happen.