SAN JOSE SHARKS 4 - 3 DETROIT RED WINGS (OT)
That's an all-time bummer of a Wings game. There's something particularly awful about losing for the third time in a series as opposed to the fourth; at least with the fourth you are dead and can't feel your feelings anymore. Right now I can still feel my skin frying and melting off of my body.
- I felt good whenever Cleary, Hank and/or Fil were on the ice. I felt shaky when Pav, Mule and Homer were, mainly because that meant Scary Ass Joe Pavelski and his little swan diving friend were near. But also because Mule looks frustrated beyond recognition and it's impacting his game, and because Homer -- while playing his ass off to the tune of perhaps the best run of his career -- is a walking penalty threat. (I say walking because whatever it's called that Homer does on the ice cannot technically be called "skating".)
- Wasn't surprised that Z's goal was called back, I thought it was about 50/50. If there were any doubts about the goal being waved off, they were soon erased when Mick called it a "good goal" 45 times before the official announcement. I still would've joined the bullshit chant anyway, just because it reminds me of my youth/college days. (i.e. like six months ago.)
- From the beginning of the game, three things had me worried: Jimmy not looking sharp; Ericsson pinching like he thought he was Lebda thinking he was Paul Coffey; and too many guys taking outside shots without traffic in front of the net. Those three things may have combined to seal our playoff fate all in one fatal ten second span in OT.
- Helm was about an inch away from taking a puck to the throat in the 2nd period. And now I will fill my biweekly quota of saying that I don't understand how people don't die all the time while playing this sport. With the razor blades attached to the people skating at like 30 mph and sticks everywhere and pucks flying all over the place .... logically it just doesn't make any fucking sense how anyone is alive after three hours of this shit.
- Things from this game that a tiny portion of me will never get over: getting out-worked on the Sharks first goal with two seconds to go in the 1st (Most important moment of the game and possibly the season); the possibility of it being 4-0 after the 1st period given Z's missed penalty shot and possibly-kicked-in goal; and the thought of Jason Williams yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" as he was taking that Overtime slapshot.
- The Homer interference penalty at end of 3rd: I'm caught in between angry at the call and angry at Homer. At this point it was almost four full games into this series, which is being called tightly. That much is obvious. And Homer decided that this was a good time to go completely belligerent. Again -- playing his ass off -- but he too looks a bit frustrated with how this series is going.
- I loathe the feeling in my stomach waiting for OT to start. It's a combination of "I hate my life", being ripped on cocaine and having to poop.
- The undefeated steak of TTD comes to an end. First loss all season that we've witnessed from the same room.
- Lastly, Ernie Harwell. I'm terrible at this stuff, so I don't want to cloud it up with too many words. He's whatever is more than a legend in this state. Whether you're 10 or 100 he had an impact on your life as a baseball fan. Odds are, even if you hate baseball, you still thought that he was a pretty swell dude. The man's voice was synonymous with driving around on a summer day with the radio on. He was awesome.
It starts with one. The Wings win Thursday, and then all the pressure is on the Sharks to win at home. Then, perhaps they remember that they are the Sharks and choke. Then we stomp out a game six victory at home because we came too far to lose at the Joe again. Then anything can happen in a Game 7.