November 11, 2010

Game #14 -- Red Wings vs. Oilers

DETROIT RED WINGS 6 - 2 EDMONTON OILERS




While against one of the worst teams in the league, this was a win that brought out a lot of good in the Wings. Huds looked somewhat alive for the first time this year, and I don't think it was a coincidence that he reunited his partnership with Flip. Val Filppula might be the only non-hooker on this planet that can hold Jiri's attention for more than four seconds. It's a good thing when they're on the ice together.

Babs pushes all the right buttons. Mule got his 100th goal, Cleary was a monster, the Eurotriplets each got points again. This was a rare stress-free, flat out fun game to watch.

Recap bullets:

  • If I didn't watch hockey, I would think that Zack Stortini is a mediocre Olive Garden dinner special. Actually, I still sort of do.
  • Poor Larry Murphy. He spent all day pronouncing "Magnus Paajarvi" in his room and still fucked it up on live TV.
  • Things I have an inexplicable love for: 1) Any movie in which somebody crawls through a vent; 2) Ham (actually that's pretty explainable. Ham is so salty and amazing and delicious that if there was a sudden glitch in the universe that made it so we had to have sex with pigs in order to eat the food products that they turn int.... on second thought, I can't in good conscience finish this sentence); 3) and saucer passes. I love seeing an awesome saucer pass, which is what Hudler delivered to Filppula to open the scoring. Just perfect. Also, definitely don't have sex with pigs.
  • Bertuzzi turns his stick around to assist Cleary's 2nd goal. I have never seen anybody do that before, let alone see it work. He was skating into the corner, looked behind him to assess where the defender and Cleary were, turned the stick around and, despite a deflection, got the puck to Cleary's stick for the goal.
  • Referees let a handful of would-be Edmonton penalties go because they felt sorry for them. I almost genuinely believe that. First Wings power play came with 4:36 to play in the 2nd period. Of course they scored on it. It was their only power play of the game.
  • FSD showed a clip of Taylor hall with a full beard at 18. I looked in the mirror to check how my homemade beard of glued-on dog hair looked, gave myself the finger guns and then burst into tears.
  • We also got a clip of Dino Ciccarelli's Hall of Fame induction speech. As my formative years as a Wings fan began in the early 90's, he was one of the first sports stars that I truly admired. My favorite Dino moment: His role as Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump.
  • And finally: If you saw the game, you saw the military tribute videos, in which a number of players said thank you to the veterans. Petrella summed it up best: "The thank you’s that the American Red Wings did to the troops (while very classy, touching, and deserved) are exactly why you’re instructed not to stare into the camera. I’m sure they were reading from a teleprompter, which is often directly in front of the lens, but it’s creepy. Next time you watch the news or see another type of interview, notice how they look just off of the camera (i.e. to it’s left or right). That’s because it’s a scientific fact that someone staring through a camera and into your soul scares the living shit out of people."
Sadly, FSD cut out the clip from Homer who, apparently lost on what "Veterans Day" means, thanked the local men and women who helped save the life of his cat, Shawn Purr.


Go Wings



8 comments:

Kjell said...

You seem to be forgetting about Ozzie when it comes to getting Huds attention. That and Hookerbot 9000.

Smitty said...

YES!! I’m glad that I’m not the only one that sees the Lt. Dan resemblance.

Graham said...

Sidney Crosby saw that clip of Taylor Hall having a full beard at 18. He immediately called Bettman and told him that Edmonton is never to make the playoffs. Ever.

saraneuie said...

Are those eye brows I see on Danny's face? Weird, I thought all he grew was his glorious Newfie beard...

Also, just yesterday I told my brother that Gary Sinise should play Dino when they do his life story on CBC. Eddie Cahill can teach him how to skate when they have downtime on the CSI: NY set

Anonymous said...

Jeff OKWingnut

Val Filppula might be the only non-hooker on this planet that can hold Jiri's attention for more than four seconds. Him and Homer's cat.

Well played.

Bert leads the Wings at +10.
The apocalypse is nigh.

Anonymous said...

captaindennispolonich

That pic of Buckets looks like Vanilla Ice. Maybe Buckets can get a home improvement show after he retires, too.

hockeychic said...

Lt. Dan! That's what it was. I was watching Dino last night and thinking that he really looked like someone but I couldn't place it. Thanks for fixing that for m.

The BF looked at me and said, "I hate to say this but #44 is playing awfully well." I put my hands over my ears and said, "Lalala I can't hear you!"

Osrt said...

Pigs are fun. They squeal.

You've never seen a player flip switch shooting sides? Cheli did it a few times, more when he played against us. That's what I remember anyway.

oink.