March 24, 2012

Game #75 -- Red Wings vs. Hurricanes

DETROIT RED WINGS 5-4 CAROLINA HURRICANES

Well, it's a good thing I don't start writing these things after the game because I wouldn't know where to start. Couldn't have felt any more optimistic coming into this one with the Hurricanes in the second of a back-to-back after losing last night 5-1 to the Blue Jackets, and even though that should merit getting a team kicked out of the league, the return of Nick Lidstrom and some other guy sealed certain victory.

Until the Wings dug deep enough in the Earth to find a 4-1 deficit. I was not enthused, and in fact very angry. But luckily for us it appeared that the Wings were too, and from that goal on, all of the action was tilted toward Cam Ward. Four unanswered goals and two points later, I'm a bit more enthused. Here's a few bullets.

  • Trying to get my pregame snack streak back on track, I went with a Vernor's and a three day-old wheat biscuit. What better way to celebrate the return of Nicklas Lidstrom than eating something that makes me sound 85 years old.
  • Confirmation of Nick's return right before the game spread across the Red Wing fanbase like wildfire. And news of Jakub Kindl's return brought about the question, "If a tree falls in the woods, but a wildfire burned down all the trees down beforehand, is this tree a hologram?" You aren't fooling anybody, Jakub Kindl hologram.
  • "The Red Wings have never lost to the Carolina Hurricanes at home." This is a blatant lie. I will never understand why, with certain stats, you are allowed to overlook playoff stats as if they never happ.... holy shit I just realized something. Using Fox Sports Detroit's crazy amnesia logic, the Wings haven't lost a regulation game at home to Pittsburgh since December 10, 2000. My god, these people are geniuses! With my new-found wizard powers I can see my reflection in the mirror again, eat food without using a straw, and visit the Detroit Zoo without taking the penguin exhibit hostage and forcing the penguins to re-enact the final episode of M*A*S*H*. Before this, I couldn't not do the hostage thing. Like I am in jail right now. Please send me some money.
  • Carolina assistant coach Dave Lewis was the "Dave Lewis" of Red Wings coaches. Just one man's opinion.
  • Henrik Zetterberg scored his second goal of the game late in the 2nd period off the mask of Cam Ward, avoiding a Jiri Hudler high stick. I don't know what this Hunger Games thing is that the kids are all into now, but the thought of Jiri Hudler growing tall enough to take away a Wings goal via a high stick sounds science-fiction-y enough for me to assume that's what it is.
  • Gustav Nyquist had a fantastic opportunity for his first NHL goal five minutes into the 3rd period. Frankly, I don't think it's going to ever happen until they get the Derek Meech juice off that #14 jersey.
  • No joke: Zetterberg was a horse. Looked like a guy who would rather loose his sack than lose to the Carolina Hurricanes at home.
  • In this up-and-down game, I have to say the most exciting part was Ken Daniels declaring the Red Wings had won -- with two seconds left on the clock. Between 2 and zero there was a centering pass and a Ty Conklin save (no really). Don't fucking do that, Ken.


Go Wings.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I enjoyed how you went from mad to peeing yourself to "See how right I was!" on Twitter over the course of this game

Sincerely,
3rdRoundDraftPick

The Triple Deke said...

to "See how right I was!"

The reverse jinx thing? I planned it all out like that.